16 April 2013

Focus on... awareness of stalking

DC Martin O'Neill
Investigator trainer

Based in Maidstone, West Division  |  Joined Kent Police in 1984

Hello there,

I’m Detective Constable Martin O’Neill, one of Kent Police's trainers. I regularly work with officers to make sure they are up to speed on the latest legislation so they can better support victims of crime.

In November 2012, when amendments were made to the Protection from Harassment Act, it became part of my role to make sure officers fully understood the updated stalking and harassment laws.

As it’s National Stalking Awareness Day this Thursday, I’ve decided to publish a short blog every day this week to help you understand the issues involved. So if you feel that you may be a victim, or know a victim, I hope this will help.

Here’s an idea of what I’ll be covering this week.

Later today I’ll let you know about the current stalking and harassment laws, explaining them as straightforwardly as I can so you know how we can help and understand the support that is available for victims.

Over the course of the week I’ll also post about what to do if you think you may be suffering at the hands of a stalker, things you shouldn’t do and why, information about diary logs as well as look at the different types of stalking, such as digital and cyber stalking. 

Whether you think you may be a victim of stalking or have never experienced it, please keep reading.  It might be that a family member, friend or even a colleague experiences it in the future. Hopefully you’ll feel better placed to help someone find the courage they need to come forward to the police and get the help they need.

Any victim of stalking will tell you how distressing this type of offending is - and no one should have to deal with it on their own.

If my work this week gives at least one victim the confidence to come forward then this blog will have been worthwhile.

Thanks for reading… stay tuned.
 

No comments: